Believe it or not, you really can combine the world’s two most amazing things – cannabis and bacon. Infusing marijuana in bacon fat is a lot easier than it sounds, and it makes an excellent breakfast food that can provide you with protein and THC to get you day started off right. Leftover marijuana bacon fat drippings can also be saved and used to give other recipes a potent kick of flavor and THC.
Ingredients Needed for Marijuana in Bacon Fat
Most recipes for marijuana in bacon fat are prepared using raw cannabis, so keep in mind you will need to decarboxylate your cannabis in order to activate the THC. This process can be done in the oven, but for the best results you might want to pop your buds into a decarboxylation machine. Here are the basic kitchen tools and ingredients needed to make marijuana bacon:
Oven or microwave
Decarboxylation machine (optional)
Storage container for leftover fat (optional)
Package of pre-sliced bacon
Preparing Marijuana in Bacon Fat
There are two basic methods for preparing marijuana in bacon fat, but no matter which you choose, you will have to decarboxylate your cannabis. To do so, you will need to either place it in a decarboxylation machine for 1-2 hours, or bake it in the oven. With a decarboxylation machine, you don’t even have to grind the cannabis up. You can just place it in the machine as is. To decarboxylate cannabis in the oven, preheat the oven to 215 degrees Fahrenheit and grind your cannabis into a fine consistency. Then, sprinkle it on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake it low and slow for 90 minutes. When it is finished, it might look a little more golden than before you put it in.
If you are using cannabis for medical purposes, keep in mind a decarboxylation machine might be the best way to go if you are making homemade edibles. While you can decarboxylate cannabis in the oven, it is not as efficient and will give varied results. A decarboxylation machine provides identical results every time and is far less smelly!
Once your cannabis is decarboxylated, it’s time to get cooking. You have three options for making marijuana in bacon fat: you can cook it in the oven or microwave, or if you are really lazy, you can just add pre-made cannabis butter to your bacon.
The Oven Method
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the bacon strips on a large cookie sheet. Make sure they are spaced out evenly. If you are making a lot of bacon, you might consider doing them in 2 batches on 2 cookie sheets.
- Take half of the finely ground decarboxylated cannabis and sprinkle it on top of the bacon. (Keep in mind you’ll be adding the other half later on).
- Bake the bacon for 10 minutes, then flip the pieces over and add the rest of the cannabis to the bacon. Bake again for another 10 minutes.
- Keep in mind the more cannabis you add, the stronger the bacon will be. Adding less will make it a smaller dose of THC. For maximum potency, add all of the cannabis to the bacon, just be sure to distribute it evenly so one piece isn’t stronger than the other.
- When your cannabis is done baking, remove the bacon from the oven and let it cool slightly. Then, remove the bacon from the cookie sheet and place on a plate lined with a paper towel to catch the grease.
- You can collect the leftover grease in the pan and store it in a small container for use later on. This will add a touch of bacon and THC to anything else you cook. Just be sure to label it properly!
The Microwave Method
If these cannabis bacon shenanigans are happening in a college dorm, you might not have access to an oven. In that case, as long as you have some way to decarboxylate your cannabis, you can make canna-bacon in the microwave. Here's how it is done:
- Take the decarboxylated cannabis and grind it into a fine consistency.
- Layer the bacon strips onto a microwave safe plate. If you are using a paper plate, you might want to double them up to lessen the greasy mess.
- Sprinkle half the cannabis onto the bacon strips and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the bacon out of the microwave, flip it over, and sprinkle the other half of the cannabis on top.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes then remove from the microwave and enjoy.
What Can I Make with Marijuana in Bacon Fat?
Once you have that greasy THC-filled bacon fat on hand, the possibilities for marijuana-bacon infused recipes are pretty endless! Brunch visitors might just think they have died and gone to cannabis heaven. You can spread marijuana in bacon fat on bread or pancakes, for a medically potent and delicious breakfast. You can also mix it into brownies or cookies if you like the combination of chocolate and bacon. Keep in mind you can also put a little pat of marijuana bacon fat on other dishes with steak or chicken.