Step One: Be free of all substances. I’m kidding of course, but the unfortunate reality of drug testing is not a laughing matter. As the marijuana industry expands into unknown social and legislative territory, you may be noticing that many employers still employ drug testing policies and procedures that have begun to feel outdated. I am sure I am not the only one who has noticed a change in public perception of marijuana. In fact, a study published in Colorado early 2014 revealed that between 2007 and 2011 the perceived risks of marijuana fell by an average of 13% in adolescents and the middle aged.
And even with more and more information liberating the public view, to pass a drug test, yes, as I mentioned you can avoid all substances, but that doesn’t begin to work for those of us that use these substances for medical reasons. The barrier presented by these tests is one that is fortified in old information. It is this barrier that has driven me to write thisā?"a how to pass a drug test in 24 hours piece- because it is something I have time and time again had to shamelessly deal with.
Factors to Consider
My approach to dealing with drug testing is like any hurdle in my life: Understand what the process is and how it works, use this to identify strengths or weaknesses, and make a choice. When deciding how to pass a drug test, let alone how to pass a drug test in 24 hours, it is important to consider these three questions before making a choice on how to proceed.
- What is the test for?
- Who is requiring you to take a drug test? Having to pass a drug test in 24 hours administered by physician is much different from an employer and an employer’s reasons are less strict than a court’s.
- What does the test look for?
- What drugs can the test detect?
- What amount is considered too much? You can reference these
- Who is administering the test?
- Do you have to go to a facility at a certain time? Can you find information on the lab they use?
- Is it a hair test? Urine? Saliva analysis? To pass a urine drug test in 24 hours is a much different thing than having to pass a saliva test, for instance.
- Do you have privacy? Is someone in the room with you at the testing site?
As these questions should illuminate, how you pass a drug test in 24 hours depends on what the tester is looking for and how the test is administered.
The Elimination Process and Testing Process
As I mentioned above, to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours is a much different task than hair or saliva testing. To help you understand, I have prepared some general information on how the body eliminates substances, focusing on marijuana. Before we can begin to decide how to pass a drug test in 24 hours, I’d like to introduce a few terms:
- Half-life: The duration of time it takes to eliminate/ destroy half of the active substance or drug
- Immunoassay: The means of measuring a specific substance (or metabolites) by concentration available in body at a specific time.
- Cannabinoid: The components of cannabis that are specific to it and create the various effects of marijuana.
- Chromatography: A method of exposing the individual components of a sample, such as different substances present in urine.
- Mass Spectrometer: A tool to expose the components of a sample through separation of isotopes and molecules, such as a metabolites of cannabinoids.
Now, if you want to know how to pass a drug test in 24 hours, knowing the methods the testing facility uses to analyze the sample are extremely important. The most common method of drug testing involves immunoassay testing of a sample (urine, saliva, etc. . .) and a secondary test such as chromatography or use of a mass spectrometer (referred to as GC/MS testing). The standards and conditions under which samples are analyzed are expected to meet all federal regulations, and therefore having knowledge of how these tests work can give you an advantage when looking to pass a drug test, especially if you have to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours.
When looking into how to pass a drug test in 24 hours, some of the most important information comes from the half-life. Knowing, on average, how fast humans can process through half of a substance gives insight into how long you need to detox from a substance. Let’s take aspirin as an example:
Aspirin has a half-life of 6 hours. That means in 6 hours, half of the Aspirin will have been broken down by the body. That means only half of the active drug still exists. In 6 more hours, only ½ of the remaining active ingredients or ¼ of the active substance will remain. So on so forth.
It is important to know that the half-life of something can change based on the individual; their use habits, tolerance, etc. . . So while this is a good measurement, the next step to pass a drug test in 24 hours lies in having an understanding of what substances are typically tested for, usually it is THC.
The big 5 (cannabinoids, cocaine, amphetamines, opiates, phencyclidine) make up what is called a “5-panel” test. While expanded versions of this exist (such as 9-panel), it is safe to assume that any drug test you take is at least 5-panel. Going in to any drug test it is important that you know how fast your body eliminates whatever substance you may have taken. So how you prepare to pass a drug test in 24 hours depends strongly on how much of what had been taken and when it was used. Marijuana is a great example of how use frequency and volume of use can change the duration you have to detox for.
- Infrequent User: Has the best chance when having to pass a drug test in 24 hours. This is the result of the body being able to eliminate the active parts of the substance in those with low tolerances as long as the substance wasn’t taken in a huge dose. Typically, those who are low use can be clean in 1-3 days without trying.
- Frequent User: If you have to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours and are a frequent cannabis user, success is possible but not likely. Current estimates suggest that within 10 days a frequent user can pass a drug test without using any sort of detox method.
- Constant User: If you are an all-day everyday kind of marijuana user, the common detox time is around three weeks to a month.
Important Note: Some of the metabolites of cannabinoids can be detected at 30+ days
While many other substances require less time to detox from, to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours if you are a frequent or daily use type of marijuana consumer is something of a constant challenge and can leave you with ethically grey options.
The Tips You Wanted
Of all the types of drug tests you may run into, the most common are urine and saliva analysis. Each of these has its advantages and pitfalls. For instance, if you have to pass a drug test in 24 hours and it’s a saliva test, 24 hours is in most cases more than enough for the cannabis users out there. For most other substances, there are products like Saliva Neutralizing Gum that are great for disrupting detection and can help you detox before the test.
If you are wondering how to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours, it’s a bit trickier. I’ve found that products like Synthetic Urine are great in a pinch. Similarly, there are detoxification products that you can buy that are pretty effective in helping you out hours before the test. Many of them have money-back guarantees. Urine drug tests are opposite saliva test in that they can detect marijuana for much longer. Cannabinoids bind to fat (cannabutter anyone?) and are not soluble in water like most other substances, taking more time to be eliminated by the body. For almost any other substance, you’ll be clear in a few days to a week.
One of the most common ways to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours is to drink an excessive amount of water to dilute your urine (and the sample along with it). This can be good because it can afford you a chance to retake the test at a later date. Be warned, however, that many places know that this is a method for showing “false negative” (you beat the test!) results and are strict with retesting.
The most common ways to cleanse THC out of your system for a drug test:
24 Hours: Same Day Cleansers
If you need to cleanse out your system fast these same day body cleansers are taken the same day of your drug test. They take affect in 1 hour and keep you clean for 6 hours. These products are a good solution if you have a drug test coming up soon but they only flush your urine temporarily.
3-5 Days: Permanent Detox Pills
There are several good permanent detox kits that will clean out your urine and blood permanently in about 5 days so you can be 100% sure you will pass your drug test. Sites like PassYourTest.com sell permanent detox programs depending on your “toxin level” that come with THC home drug testing kits so you can test yourself and have peace of mind before any actual drug test.
With the proper diet, exercise and regiment of liquids you can naturally cleanse you body of THC in on average 30 days for moderate users and 45 days for heavy users respectively. Read more about naturally detoxing from marijuana.
Beyond purchasing synthetic urine, another common method to pass a urine drug test in 24 hours would be to use clean urine. How or where you find this is anyone’s guess. Anyone else remembering an episode of Workaholics where they try to buy urine from school kids?
by Joey Wells