Learn more about marijuana in Montana
Is Marijuana Legal in Montana? ▼
Where Can I Consume Marijuana in Montana?▼
Marijuana may not be used in any form in any of the following places:
- On the grounds of or in any school, public or private - including universities and other post-secondary academic facilities
- In a school bus or on any form of public transport
- In any court-ordered correctional program or facility
- At a public park, beach, recreation center, or youth center
- On the property of any place of worship
- In any place that can be easily viewed by the public
- In any place where exposure to marijuana smoke may impact the health, safety, or welfare of minors under the age of 18 who are not registered cardholders
Montana does not allow marijuana social clubs. Instead, consumption is to be done on private property not accessible to the general public.
How Do I Find Work in the Montana Marijuana Industry?▼
Providers and their employees must be at least 21 years of age. Applicants must have never been convicted of a drug-related offense or a felony of any kind - information will be verified by fingerprinting and a background check. The applications are available on the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services website and must be submitted with a $50 annual application fee.
Is Drug Testing for Marijuana Legal in Montana?▼
Employers are neither required to accommodate the use of medical marijuana nor tolerate it from their employees. Furthermore, employers are explicitly allowed under Montana law to prohibit the use of medical marijuana by employees through employment contracts. Discrimination or wrongful discharge are not sufficient to contest the employer’s code of conduct at this time.
Is Delivery of Marijuana Legal?▼
Yes, registered caregivers and providers can transport or deliver medical marijuana products to qualifying cardholders.
How Is Marijuana in Montana Dispensaries Paid For? ▼
The medical marijuana program in Montana runs on cash sales, a persistent result of the continued federal illegality of marijuana intermingling with federal financial laws and regulations.