These days everyone knows or seems to know, these days any and everything there is to know about marijuana. From genetic tracings to how it affects the brain. For those of us that are new to the wonderful world of legal weed. Here are a few facts that you might not have known to impress your fellow “Cannasseur.”
- Beer and Buds: We’re All Family here! They are two genera in the family Cannabinaceae. Cannabaceae is a small family of flowering plants. Basically the two, botanically speaking, are close cousins. In recent findings, it was discovered that you can graft hops right onto the stalk of a cannabis plant!!!
- According to a 2010 study from Cato, legalizing marijuana would generate $8.7 billion in federal and state tax revenue annually. This is not just from the sales and tax side, assuming it would be taxed similar to alcohol and tobacco. The study goes into the billions saved by state and local governments spend on regulating marijuana.
- CBD has been found to freeze, and sometimes alter the gene in cancer cells that cause cancer to spread: ID-1 is the gene that causes cancer cells to spread. The Research has been successful in both Laboratory and animal trials. The researchers heading the study are awaiting approval for human trials. Originally it was discovered to help slow if not stop the activity of the ID-1 gene in breast cancer, but found that it is advantageous in aggressive cancers such as brain, prostate etc.
- Some of our more popular founding fathers have farmed hemp: Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and George Washington are among some of the more cited growers of the ganja.
- Marijuana is considered to be kosher by some rabbis and Jewish organizations. Brian Gralnick, The president of the Jewish Social Policy Network, Testified in court on the matter of legalization that “Jewish teachings tell us that we should alleviate pain and suffering in other human beings.”
- California was one of the first states to legalize the use of medical marijuana, BUT it was actually the first state to BAN marijuana over 100 years ago.
- Uruguay was the FIRST nation to legalize marijuana: On December 11th, 2013 the law was passed that any resident of Uruguay, over the age of 18, could buy up to 40g’s of marijuana a month.
- The U.S Government’s Military chemical weapons program created a synthetic version of THC in 1949, as non-lethal incapacitating agent. The effects of 1mg the drug could last up to three days and had magnified effects on test subjects.
- In the city of Los Angeles and the entire state of Colorado, there are more dispensaries than there are Starbucks.
- According to John Markoff in his book, What the Dormouse Said, the first online purchase was weed : ” 1971 or 1972, Stanford students using Arpanet accounts at Stanford University’s Artificial Intelligence Laboratory engaged in a commercial transaction with their counterparts at Massachussetts Institute of Technology. Before Amazon, before eBay, the seminal act of e-commerce was a drug deal. The students used the network to quietly arrange the sale of an undetermined amount of marijuana. “
- Colorado may be the first state to legalize the recreational use of marijuana, but it was in fact the state in which the first arrest for marijuana possession and distribution occurred in 1937 in Denver.
And as Forrest Gump would say “That’s all I have to say about that.”